Initial Behavioural Consultation
The initial consultation:
- A 1.5 hour meeting in person or via Zoom
- We will work on a personalized hierarchy of concerns that you are experiencing with your dog(s).
- These concerns determine whether it is best have the meeting by Zoom, or in the home and neighbourhood so that we are addressing the real world problems where they happen.
- Designing a behavioural theapy plan to help your dog build impulse control and comfort around their triggers.
Prior to the consultation, a detailed home profile form will be completed and returned. This allows Lucinda to have a good feel for the situation prior to our visit, maximizing our productivity. Immediate tips and feedback can often be provided based on the information on the completed form, so details are important!
Once the profile has been reviewed, Lucinda will then ask for brief video clips in advance of the visit or call, that will provide her more crucial information on body language, triggers in the environment, and interactions with different family members.
- Video will not be asked for of interactions with visitors or high value resources, even if these are areas of concern. We do not want the dog practicing undesired behaviours, including fear or aggression induced ones until we have appropriate management techniques in place.
Let me help your dog be their best self! Our focus is on changing their emotional state around common areas of concern, while providing insight on how your dog is processing the environment around them.
My success level at turning around fear and anxiety based behaviours means that rescue groups, Vets, breeders and the OSPCA refer their cases to me.
Zoom Video Consulting
Zoom video consulting is a highly effective way to help owners address concerns over their dog’s fear, anxiety or aggression issues.
- It allows Lucinda to observe the dog’s behaviour in their natural environment without her presence being a factor. Often the presence of a trainer can change the dog’s behaviour and this virtual format helps the normal interactions be observed as they happen.
- The interactive video call gives us the ability to set up situations and address concerns that happen on a daily basis. The bonus is that the visit is recorded to be reviewed by all family members at a later date!
Whether in your home live or by video conferencing, we will have a comprehensive look at:
- the family dynamic
- household training methods
- living situation for the dog
- a review of equipment currently in use.
Lucinda will assess each area of concern and use this to develop you personalized training plan. Family members that interact with the dog should partipate, including other pets. This is critical in building the consistency in methods of interacting with the dog.
Lucinda is a Certified Behavourist, and as such, the assessment may also be provided as necessary to your Veterinarian to prescribe appropriate medication.
For a video call, you will need solid wifi reception and ideally a laptop. phone or tablet for the conference. We want to be able to be mobile in the home and into the yard and have a large enough screen to capture that relevant area. The conference should take place in an area in the home where your dog is usually with family.
A $100 non-refundable deposit is required to start the consultation process.
After the consultation, a comprehensive assessment will be completed by Lucinda, including analyzing the behaviours observed, methods to implement and building training skills. If by Zoom the recording will be shared to download.
From there we will either set up a series of visits, or move into a small group class. As we progress, the exercises will be modified to increase success and help the dog be more comfortable and confident in the different real world scenarios. We only increase difficulty levels as they are able to do so!
Calm success is our goal!
– Private in person & Zoom
Bringing happiness and confidence to your dog is our greatest joy!
Private In home and Zoom Consulting Sessions
Lucinda specializes in behavioural issues and is dedicated to helping dogs to overcome their fears and anxieties – the root cause of most aggressive behaviours. Science based methods ensure that the best possible results will be achieved.
There are a range of root causes, from genetics, early environmnent, one time learning from a frightening experience and the use of pain in training. The earlier intervention the better, to prevent the behaviour from becoming too well practiced.
Fully pain and force free methods are employed, as the science of behaviour shows a very strong connection between forceful methods and later aggressive outbursts — across species!
We work with Veterinarians to rule out any physical cause of changes, and potentially the use nutraceutical or pharmaceutical intervention for a full solution, along with behaviour therapy.
Let’s get started on helping your dog live their best life!